Termites are one of the most damaging pests found in and around North Texas homes. Once termites attack your home, the damage can be extremely costly and require a professional pest control treatment to eradicate the infestation. However, there are some simple steps a homeowner can take to help prevent termite infestations.
- Regularly termite treatments by a professional pest control company can help prevent termites
- Maintain all wooden parts of the home and keep all wood on the home at least six inches above ground level
- Keep mulch levels below the siding and wood parts of the home
- Remove all dead trees, shrubs, stumps and roots that may be near the foundation of the home
- Trim all bushes, shrubs and tree branches so that they do not provide a pathway for termites to enter your home
- Never store firewood, lumber or other wood items near the foundation of your home
- Minimize moisture near the wood parts of your home – termites need water to live.
- Manage drainage adequately in your yard
- Promptly repair any exterior leaks to faucets, pipes and AC units
- When possible keep shrubs, flowers and other plants at least 3~4 feet from the foundation of your home
- Minimize or eliminate ground-level exposure between the foundation and your home.
With regular termite and pest control services and periodic inspections to make sure the exterior of your home is not conducive to termite infestation, you can virtually eliminate any risk of termite damage in your home.